Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Texas Two-Step 2020

Well, campers, it has been some time since LBB has seen any updates.  In fact, I see that last year's trip hasn't even been completed, so I'll put that on the to-do list.  Aaaaanny day now...

This year is a bit of a different story, as I'm somewhat less busy.  I've been out of work since before COVID made being non-essential a thing, and I sure ain't finding work now that it has.  I've caught up with my projects large and small, with the understanding that they never actually do end, and I'm really looking to go somewhere with my downtime, knowing that the days of abundant PTO will be no more in whatever new job I find.  Donna, on the other hand, has managed to start a new job that she actually landed before the shit hit the fan, and has since waited patiently (kinda) for a start date that finally came.  So her days of abundant PTO are no more, for the immediate future.

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska has been the top of my personal bucket list since the Pacific Coast Highway got checked off, and is a trip that Donna is not super-stoked about from her side.  That immediately became Option 1, except for one small detail:  With the "second wave" of COVID in full swing here, Canada wants nothing to do with us.  Discretionary travel to Alaska through Canada, tightly restricted until recently, is now pretty much prohibited unless you have a good lie to make it essential.  I'm not getting involved with that, so I'm skipping to Plan B.

Plan B involves going directly into Texas, the most recent and largest COVID hotspot, which you - and Donna - would also think should result in a scratch, especially with the July heat.  But I already scratched Plan A, and I'm not real good at learnin', so it's happening.  There's also an Iron Butt ride involved; one step above the 1,000 in 24 that I've accomplished twice so far, and this one with a theme.  Off  I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment